Monday, February 16, 2009

Who Are You?

The story about the donkey which Jesus rode on the day of Hosanna, His entry into Jerusalem, is a well known and humorous tale. The donkey misunderstood the entire event. He thought that all the people were praising him, so on the very next day he went back to the same street expecting another great reception. But instead of receiving cheers and praise he was pelted with stones.
A correct and accurate awareness of oneself and one’s vision is essential for growth and development. It is important because our behavior depends on our perception of reality. If our perception is wrong, then our behavior will be undesirable or unwelcoming. People know or perceive us based on our behavior. There are three different visions in the world. They are:

I am for me.
This is the vision of ethnocentric people. The basic attitude of this vision is: I am the center of the universe. They do and think only in terms of themselves. They are not in the least bit concerned with or about others. They live in their own private world. They are a people of indifference about others and other happenings.

You are for me.
The ultimate aim of their life is themselves. They cooperate with others as long as these others help them with their own personal interests. They don’t hesitate to use human beings including their own children as if they were some sort of animals if this action serves their own personal plan. Their love is very pragmatic. The majority of people may belong to this group. Sometimes it seems that they are doing a lot of good for the world. But in reality they are not. These same people can be compared to a huge tree. This tree affords shade for many and nests for birds. But no other trees, especially small trees, can grow nearby.

I am for You.
This is the vision of Jesus and His religion. The most important question that Jesus is going to ask us on the Final Day of Judgment is: What were you to your brothers/ sisters?

1 comment:

  1. Fr Sebastian, I appreciated your homily on this at mass this morning, and how you related it to the blind man who Jesus had to touch more than once to heal, each time his vision becoming a little more "true," likening this to the 3 stages you describe here in your post.

    I wonder if the people in the second category are perceived by others to be self-centered, or even if they recognize their true nature themselves. In other words, they are doing some good out there in the world, but that good wasn't necessarily their aim. I think I was in that category for some years of my life, and when I re-verted to Catholicism I became aware of this in my own nature. Only then was I able to change it.

    ReplyDelete