Thursday, January 21, 2010

PEOPLE OF THE GOSPELS
THIRD SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME

Last Sunday while I was having a discussion with the participants of the RCIA program, one person asked: “What is the importance of the Bible in our Spiritual living?” It was a great question. You may have numerous answers. However, Psalms 119:105 offers the best answer: “Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light for my path”. The responsorial psalms for this Sunday Liturgy repeat the same: “Your words, Lord, are Spirit and Life.”

JESUS AND THE SCRIPTURE

The gospel talks about how Jesus was in the Synagogue, read the Scripture and discovered his mission in the Book of Isaiah. After reading the passage beginning with “the Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor…” (Lk 4:16ff), Jesus said “Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled.” Scripture helped Jesus to identify His mission. A number of times in His public life Jesus turned to the Scripture for direction. For example, when He was tested in the desert, Jesus cited the scripture to defeat the devil’s plan for Him (Mt 4:3-11). If the Scripture was that vital in His life, how much more significant it should be in our lives!


JESUS, THE SCRIPTURE

Words reveal what is in one’s heart. The Word of God reveals God’s heart. In Jesus, the Word of God became Flesh. Jesus became the heart of God; the message of God. At the age of 12, Jesus said: “I must be about my Father’s business”. In the desert Jesus said: “One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God”. On another occasion Jesus said to his disciples: “My food is to do the will of the one who sent me and to finish his work” (Jn 4:34). At Gethsemane Jesus said: “Not my will but yours be done” (Lk 22:42). And finally, on the cross He said: “Father into your hands, I commend my spirit”. (Lk23:46). Jesus started his life taking the job of doing His Father’s business and He faithfully completed it on the cross. Jesus, not only turned to the Scripture for guidance but also became Scripture, the Word of God itself. Hence Jesus said: Whoever has seen me has seen the Father; The Father and I are one” (Jn10/30, 14/9).

THE IMPORTANCE OF SCRIPTURE IN MY LIFE!

Since the Word of God is incarnated in Jesus, He became the True Way to Life. The Gospels sum up His life in words. The Word of God leads us to life in the following ways.

1. Word of God: The Lighthouse! The role of a light house for someone lost in the sea during night is beyond description. The Bible does the same to a lost soul. It removes the darkness. The first word uttered by God was: Let there be light. So Peter asked: Lord where shall we go? You have the words of eternal life! (Jn 6:66, 20:31). The Bible has the answer to all your problems.

2. Word of God: The Sounding Board! Scripture serves as a reference point for our thinking and acting (2Timothy 3:16). Scripture helps us to evaluate our present life style. For example, the Ten Commandments give us the right mind set we need towards God and others.

3. Word of God: The Divine Medicine! Jeremiah said, “When I found your words, I devoured them; they became my joy and happiness of my heart” (Jeremiah15:16).

4. Word of God: The Guaranteed Hope! Though the grass withers and the flower wilts, the Word of our God stands forever (Is 40:8) The word of God is living and effective, sharper than any double edged sword, penetrating even between soul and spirit, joints and marrow, and able to discern reflections and thoughts of the heart Hebrew 4:12) For just as from the heaven rain and snow come down and do not return there till they have watered the earth, making it fertile and fruitful, giving seeds to him who sows and bread to him who eats so shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth. It shall not return to me void, but shall do my will, achieving the end for which I sent it (Is 55:10).

PEOPLE OF THE SCRIPTURE

The Word of God transformed the life of many. Paul discovered his mission when he was confronted with the Words of Jesus (Acts 9:3ff). Ignatius of Loyola, Francis Xavier, Francis of Assisi, Francis De Sales, Vincent De Paul, Mother Theresa, Gandhi and many others talk volume about the life transforming influence of the Word of God in their lives. They became the
Gospel! For instance, Paul said: Imitate me as I imitate Jesus. Living the gospels is a process of listening, meditating, assimilating and delivering. This is what Mary did. She listened to the Word of God, pondered over it, made it part of her being and delivered it to the world in the form of Jesus. How do I approach the Word of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment