Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Fifth Gospel

(Fifth Sunday of Easter)

Recently we had a discussion on Discipleship. One of the participants made this interesting comment: “ Disciples are Jesus multiplied”. I thought it was a great statement about discipleship. Christianity is not about a doctrine. It is not about a bunch of principles. It is all about a person, the person of Jesus Christ. The kerigma of the early Church evidently supports this view. All the disciples without any exception proclaimed only one thing: the person of Jesus Christ. It is not the teachings of Jesus but the person of Jesus that saves us. Peter for instance said: “Everyone who believes in Jesus will receive forgiveness of sins through his Name” (Acts 10: 43). Paul said the same in a different way: “Everyone who is in Christ is a new creation”.

This was a clear deviation from the Old Testament understanding of salvation. According to the Hebrew Scripture, salvation was attained through membership in the Chosen Race (Israel). Israel was the Vineyard of God (Isaiah 5:1-7, Psalm 80:9). Later, Israel was identified with vine and Israelites as branches. Israel, however, became a wild vine and lost its credibility (Jeremiah 2:21). Jesus replaced the vine of the Old Testament with Himself (John 15: 1-8). Jesus is the vine that provides the life giving sap. In order to receive life, therefore, one has to be grafted to Jesus. Jesus is the vine and all those who are in Jesus are the branches. It is not enough to be a member of the community for attaining salvation. Community is the communion of people who found salvation in Jesus.

Christian spirituality is measured in terms of one’s intimate union or relationship with the person of Jesus. The challenge is to find ways to remain in Jesus. Naturally a lot of pruning and cutting is necessary. Vine bears two kinds of branches; one that bears fruit and one that does not produce fruits. Vine grower cuts the branches that do not yield fruits so that they will drain away none of the plant’s strength. The same way, our growth in Jesus depends on how we are willing to control the worldly inclinations and tendencies and focus on the inspiration of the Spirit. Ask yourself: What is that I need to stop doing and what is that I need to start doing to develop a personal intimacy with Jesus.

The criterion to evaluate our intimacy with Jesus is our behavior itself. Our behavior is the expression of who we are. Does my life reflect Christ? According to John when we “love one another as Jesus commanded”, then we manifest Christ in our lives (1 John 3:18-24). One branch alone does not make a beautiful tree. Do I allow other braches to grow and bear fruits? (courtesy: Msgr. Jim Loughnane). I remember this experience that happened when I was working in North India. One day, while I was returning home after attending a meeting at the Bishop’s house, I met an old man. It was a very windy night and he was carrying a heavy bag. I felt sorry for him, so I stopped my scooter and asked him, “Where are you going at this hour?” “My train was late, so I missed my bus. My house is about three miles away”, he informed me. “Don’t worry. I will give you a lift”, I offered. “Are you a Christian?” on the way, he asked me. “Yes”, I replied. Further down the road, I asked him, “Why did you ask me such a question?” “Only Christians do this kind of work”, the old man replied.

Everyday we do lots of things. Every word we speak, every action we do, the kinds of friends we have, the way we dress, the kind of entertainment that we choose… everything associated with us reveals our identity. We show our identity through our behavior. By our behavior we tell people that we are disciples of Jesus. What kind of fruits am I bearing?

We cannot produce fruits of the kingdom without remaining in Jesus. Jesus is the source of all that is true and good. Paul was able to evangelize the gentile world because of his affinity with Jesus. Mother Theresa was able to do miraculous job for the poor because of her connectedness with Jesus. Their relationship with Jesus was such that in them ‘message and messenger’ became one. They became true branches. What about us?

No comments:

Post a Comment