Friday, March 16, 2012

REDEMPTION, NOT CONDEMNATION
4 SUNDAY OF LENT

There is a great statement in today’s gospel reading (John 3:14-21). John says: For God did not send his Son to the world to condemn the world, but the world might be saved through him. It is redemption, not condemnation and that is the core of Christian spirituality and theology. Paul underlines this view in his Letter to Ephesians. Paul writes: God who is rich in mercy, because of his great love he had for us, even when we were in dead in our transgression, brought us to life with Christ.

The gospels have numerous stories of Jesus’ redemptive love. Consider the story of the woman caught in the act of adultery. The crowd waited for Jesus to pronounce the verdict. According to the Law of Moses, people of such crime deserved capital punishment. However, Jesus rewrote the law. Instead of singling out one person, he challenged each one of them to prove each one’s credibility. In the process, Jesus saved everybody.

This redemptive dimension of Jesus’ mission has a couple of practical applications.

1. The Divine Love of Jesus is available to anyone who comes out of darkness. The gospel reading starts with a reference to Nicodemus. He wanted to follow Jesus. However, he came to him in the dark. Nicodemus was in a bind. He wanted the light of Jesus but at the same time, he wanted the protection of the dark. Half-hearted people never experience the blessings of God. A hundred percent willingness like Zacchaeus is necessary to experience God’s grace. This story is interesting. An angler who was out of fellowship with the Lord was sat the sea with his godless companions when a storm came up and threatened to sink their ship. His friends begged him to pray. However, he demurred, saying: It has been a long time since I have done or even entered a church. At their insistence however, he finally cried out, “O Lord, I have not asked anything of You in 15 years, and if You help us now and bring us safely to land, I promise, I won’t bother You again for another 15!”

2. Redemption, not condemnation must be our basic attitude in life. Our general human tendency is to find fault with others. As somebody said if we can overlook much and correct a little, then we will be able to do more good than otherwise we are able to accomplish.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Father,
    I have to say this while it is fresh on my mind.
    While getting ready to go to Holy Hour tonight I had the chance to set up for Adoration. I was looking forward to it since I don't get a chance to do it often. As I started, someone else came in, took it over and completed the set up. I was very upset almost to the point of tears. I went back to the Adoration Chapel to pray. As Holy Hour started I could not get my mind focused on why I us there. Then I remembered I had read and printed out your reflecton this afternoon. I took it out of my purse and during silent meditation I read point(2) over and over. As the hour went on I started to feel better and better. My attitude was changing. Stop Finding Fault...Overlook much. I still have a long way to go. I am always amazed when I have a problem I usually find and answer the next day. This time I had the answer right with me.

    Thank you,
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary ann for the beautiful comment. You are right....we need to overlook much. You did it. Congratulation.

    Fr. Sebastian

    ReplyDelete