Friday, April 13, 2012



TRUST, NOT DOUBT

I had a friend. He was a non-believer. He tried to convince me of the nonexistence of God. “If there is a God, show me” , he used to challenge me. Often I ignored him. One day he called me and said: I have a terrible headache. Do you have any medicine for me?” I went to see him. “Where is your pain? Show me. He pointed to his forehead. “I cannot see your headache. You must not have a headache”, I said to him. “Are you crazy? How can I show my pain?” he was angry.

We cannot see everything. We cannot verify everything experimentally. Many people believe only things that they can see or touch. This was the problem with Thomas. He said: I want a proof to believe in the resurrection of Jesus.

The foundation of life is faith and trust. We may not have all the proof all the time. A little child calls a woman mother. The child does not ask for proof.

God trust us. Jesus trusted his disciples. Peter denied him at the crucial moment of his life. Thomas remained doubtful about Jesus’ resurrection. However, Jesus trusted them. As we heard from the gospel reading, Jesus renewed his trust in them and entrusted them with new responsibilities.

We make judgment on people based on a few experiences. We are more than a few of our behaviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment